Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Saigon (26th March 2011)

We arrived in Saigon around 6.30 last night and as usual I hadn’t really worked out anywhere to stay. A German couple who were on the homestay tour with me were also getting off here so we wandered together looking for somewhere to stay. Their bags must have been lighter than mine cause after trailing around the entire city (at least that’s how it felt) I gave up and went my own way finding a nice little hotel just off the main street where I booked a tour to the Cu Chi tunnels for this morning.

The Cu Chi tunnels are around 30 km out of Saigon and were used by Viet Cong guerrillas as hiding spots during combat as well as serving as communication and supply routes, hospitals as well as food and weapon hiding places. The tunnel system is 121 km in length and it was quite amazing that the Viet Cong were able to live and fight in such confined areas. We were shown all around the area and shown the actual size of one of the entrances into the tunnels as well as a lot of the booby traps that were designed to not only keep the Americans at bay but also to deter others from coming in closer. I did wonder if perhaps we weren’t going to get a chance to go inside the tunnels but before we knew it we were having to read a health warning and pretty much sign our lives away and there we were! Now not only do I not like water but as well I’m not that keen on confined spaces. I gave it a go though but was very happy to have an escape route after the first 15 metres. And these were tunnels that have been made larger for tourists. There was another short tunnel system that was around 5 – 10 cm smaller than the one I had gone in but there was no-way I was giving that a go.











Cu Chi tunnels













After the tunnels I was dropped off at the War Remnants Museum in Saigon. Now this really was a very moving and disturbing place. I know there must have been a certain amount of propaganda involved but at the end of the day it still doesn’t change the chemicals the Americans used on the vegetation and crops and subsequently the people, nor does it change how many people and children were blatantly murdered in cold blood by the Americans and neither does it change the fact that even now there are children being born with birth defects due to the chemicals used back then. The thing about this was is that it has been documented throughout with photographs, so although I accept there is some degree of propaganda you cannot deny the picture that clearly shows a very young boy covering his younger sibling/friend while American soldiers shot at them, killing them. It was that picture that got to me the most, I found it really hard to understand how an educated and Western country can kill innocent children in such a callous and unfeeling manner, it was as though their lives were worthless. I found it quite shocking learning about what went on during the Vietnam War and the effect it continues to have on people here but it’s important to learn about it and remember it.



War Remnants Museum






Back at the hotel I had a call from Lauren saying she and Hadleigh had arrived in Saigon that morning and did I fancy meeting up......of course! ;-)


Lauren, Hadleigh and me

No comments:

Post a Comment